The setting to output sound through TV speakers vs. Home Theater speakers (for HTS sources such as Blu-ray disc, DVD, FM, etc.) is made during the [HDMI handshake] between the Home Theater System and the HDTV.
If you want sound from HTS sources such as Blu-ray disc, DVD, FM, etc. to be output from your Home Theater Speakers please change the following setting:
- Home - > Settings - > Advanced Setup - > Audio - > Audio Output
- Change the Audio Output to “Speakers” or “Off” depending on your HTS model number
If you want sound from TV sources such as Antenna, Cable, Satellite, IPTV box, etc. to be output from your HTS, do the following:
- Use a S/PDIF cable (optical or digital coaxial based on the ports available on the back of your TV and home theater system) to connect your TV from the S/PDIF OUT jack to the S/PDIF IN jack on the back of your HTS.
- Make sure you change your TV settings to output sound from the S/PDIF OUT jack vs. the TV speakers.
- Switch on your HTS and use the SOURCE button on your HTS remote to select the correct Digital Audio source to which you have connected your TV.
Note:The S/PDIF jacks on your TV & HTS could be labeled S/PDIF, Digital Audio, Optical Audio, TOSLINK or Digital Coaxial. They are all the same digital audio format which is [Digital Interconnect Format](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF”>S/PDIF = Sony/Philips).
In general, you would connect from a RCA jack to a RCA jack using a Digital Coaxial Cable or from an Optical port to an Optical port using an Optical/TOSLINK cable.
What should I do if I have a mismatch of S/PDIF ports?
TV has Optical OUT but HTS has Digital Coaxial IN:
- Use an Optical to Digital Coaxial converter
TV has Digital Coaxial OUT but HTS has Optical IN:
- Use a Digital Coaxial to Optical converter